About the Fulbright Program
The Fulbright Program was established by the U.S. Congress in 1946 “to increase mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and the people of other countries.” Named for its sponsor, the late Senator J. William Fulbright, the Fulbright Program is the U.S. government’s premier international educational exchange vehicle. Grants are awarded on the basis of academic merit and professional promise to U.S. students, teachers, and scholars, as well as to foreign citizens, to study, teach, lecture, and conduct research.
One To World & Fulbright
One To World serves as the officially-designated coordinator of enrichment programs for visiting Fulbright grantees in the greater New York metropolitan area and is an internationally recognized leader in providing substantive, innovative, and successful educational programming.
One To World creates opportunities for Fulbright grantees to meet New Yorkers, explore “behind the scenes” in American institutions and local neighborhoods, and learn about aspects of U.S culture and society they might not otherwise encounter.
Our mission is to make sure that Fulbrighters have more than simply an academic experience in the U.S.! If you are a visiting Fulbright grantee in the greater New York metropolitan area (the New York area includes Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey), we encourage you to take advantage of our ongoing enrichment programs and activities. One To World functions as a local resource center, answering questions as you get settled and seeing to it that you enjoy your stay.
Fulbright Student Program
Fulbright Scholar Program
One To World cooperates with IIE to bring you programs and activities especially designed for Fulbright Visiting Scholars (Fulbright grantees who received awards for advanced research or university lecturing) and their families. Our goal is to create substantive programs that enrich your experience in the New York area and broaden your understanding of contemporary life and culture in the U.S.
One To World programs for Fulbright Grantees
Please note, not all programs are offered every year.
We provide opportunities for Fulbright grantees to visit business, educational and cultural centers and meet New Yorkers prominent in industry, government, and the arts. You can expect to receive periodic announcements via email which highlight upcoming Fulbright student activities as well as other One To World programs that may be of interest to you such as:
Fulbright Sponsored Events:
- Conversations with World Leaders – A series of face-to-face meetings with CEOs, philanthropists, civic leaders and other important New Yorkers who wish to engage Fulbright students in an exchange of ideas and life stories.
- Dinner Diplomats – Join a small group of fellow Fulbright grantees for a meal and an exchange of ideas in an American host’s home.
- Fulbright Receptions – Join us for a special evening filled with new and familiar faces, conversations, cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres.
- Fulbright Family Trips – We sponsor a variety of events–lectures and seminars, bus and walking tours, sport events, concert and theatre parties, as well as other social activities for you and your whole family to enjoy.
- Global Classroom – Share your country and culture by making curriculum-related presentations to students in New York City public schools.
One To World offers additional programs to international students which Fulbright grantees are welcome to join through our events calendar:
- Volunteer – Give back to the New York community by volunteering with one of our many partners.
- Community Visits and One To World Walks – Enjoy short-term home hospitality with American host families. Explore New York City’s most diverse neighborhoods on our guided walking tours.
- Career Services – Prepare yourself for the professional working world through workshops and job shadowing programs.
- Foreign Affairs Conferences – Represent your country & culture as an international student delegate at two prestigious foreign affairs conferences held annually at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York and the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.
To join the Fulbright Student or Scholar bi-weekly newsletter, please contact Marisa Silva, Director of Membership & Programs.
Attend an Event
Attend an event and meet other Fulbright Scholars in the greater New York area!